Gain Deep Knowledge in Both Strategy and Creative Production
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Use Ethics and Analytics to Fuel Media Strategies
Calvin’s online Master of Arts in Media and Strategic Communication delivers deep, unparalleled knowledge and hands-on experience in the two key areas of communication: strategy and creative development. In this powerful, online strategic communication master’s program, you’ll learn how to convert audience analysis into a strategy while you gain key skills in media production, integrated advertising, journalism, brand personalization, influencer marketing, and virtual engagement. All coursework contains a values-driven focus, so you understand how to engage an audience with honest messaging that exceeds your client’s goals.
By graduation, you’ll have a professional portfolio of work. It’ll demonstrate that you can develop powerful communication strategies and create captivating messages that layer advertising and public relations principles with multimedia elements. You’re ready to lead with confidence and integrity across communication and production disciplines in an ever-changing digital world.
The first online class start is scheduled for Fall 2023.
Our advisory board, faculty, and experiential curriculum provide you with the contacts, professional portfolio, and resume you need to advance your career. Graduate from our online M.A. in Media and Strategic Communication program ready to pursue a career in advertising, public relations, marketing, social media, or film to take on management roles in:
- Advertising/Promotion/Marketing | $141,490/Year1
- Public Relations/Fundraising | $118,430/Year2
- Social Media | $104,692/Year3
Our curriculum is overseen by an advisory board of professional industry experts who are ready to mentor you toward success. The program develops an unparalleled skill set in both creative development and strategy, delivering hands-on experience and a portfolio of work that includes projects you’ll complete in:
- Media Production. Complete production projects that align with the skills needed by your career interests such as videography, non-linear editing, basic lighting, double-system audio, graphic design with web-based tools, scriptwriting, and more.
- Creative Media. Work in this faculty-led, student-run creative media agency.
- Advertising. Use real audience analytics and research methods to identify target audiences and craft brand-changing stories for various media platforms.
- Public Relations. Plan, advertise, and manage a real fundraising event.
- Journalism. Pitch community news organizations with multimedia storytelling products.
At graduation, you’ll be able to enhance client messaging and branding because you can:
- Use analytics to shape client strategies.
- Convert audience analytics into intentional video messaging.
- Develop comprehensive videos using scriptwriting, shooting, editing, and packaging.
- Craft nuanced stories that complement each media platform.
- Facilitate collaboration within a team.
- Capture a client’s business goals through engaging messaging.
- Advocate for ethical practices.
- Captivate audiences with compelling audio, video, and design.
To apply for the online Master of Arts in Media of Strategic Communication program at Calvin University, you’ll need:
- A completed application
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary academic coursework to demonstrate a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- A short-answer writing sample
- A resume or CV
The online M.A. of Media and Strategic Communication degree is a 32-credit hour program. Tuition is $660 per credit hour for an expected total tuition of $21,120. Find out more about tuition so you can make an informed financial decision.Get Tuition Details
Just because you’re learning online doesn’t mean you’re learning alone. The faculty for the online Master of Arts in Media and Strategic Communication program is committed to your success. They’re devoted, skilled instructors who lead their respective industries as advertising executives, filmmakers, journalism scholars, and more. They’re here to help you build a professional portfolio, a strong resume, and a network of important industry contacts so you can graduate ready to succeed.
Gregory Braun, Co-Director
Gregory Braun has held a long and successful career in advertising. He is the retired deputy global chief creative officer of Commonwealth/McCann. Prior to that, he was the executive vice president/national executive creative director of Innocean/USA in Los Angeles; the co-president and executive creative director of PULSE/Team Detroit; and held creative leadership positions at Y&R, BBDO, and Saatchi & Saatchi.
Mr. Braun’s work has been recognized by the major awards shows including Cannes, the One Show, the Clios, and Effies, and he’s been a judge for the One Show, Clios, NY Festivals, London Internationals, and the Emmy Awards.
At Calvin University, we’re committed to making your education affordable. Find out more about your financial aid options, including U.S. military benefits and employer tuition reimbursement.Get Financial Aid Details
Online Learning That Fits Into Your Life
The program engages all areas of life. At Calvin, we believe that learning comes from doing, and we maintain our commitment to practical, hands-on application and experience for online students.
Embrace the flexibility of an online program coupled with individualized instruction.Online Student Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 1-855-474-8346.
Faculty are mostly tenured.
Miscellaneous costs could include books, supplies, or personal expenses and they are not included in the tuition costs. You can learn more about all tuition fees here.
We accept up to seven transfer credits for this program. You can learn more about our admissions policy here.
The online MA in Media and Strategic Communication program follows a cohort model. This provides you with deep learning experiences with your peers.
The online program is designed for maximum flexibility and may be taken full-time if you feel you have the time to do so successfully. Full-time means you’ll take two classes every eight weeks.
To see the curriculum, view our courses page.
The online program is designed for professionals who work full-time and is offered part-time with one class every eight weeks. This allows you to achieve a realistic balance between work, school, and personal responsibilities and gives you the opportunity to fully absorb the information in your coursework. To see the curriculum, view our courses page.